Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Magical Unicorn

Okay, obviously I am a sucky blogger.  This is never going to become a livelihood.  Oh well.  I still enjoy having a place to write what I want when I want to.

School just ended for winter recess which means I am halfway through another school year.  This also means it is time for my stress level to shoot through the roof (although I swear it has been way worse this year) and it is time for me to start looking for a new job.  My husband insists that I mull over a new job at this point every school year as well, but this time I'm actually researching what it would take to switch careers. 

It's not that I hate my career, in fact I actually really enjoy the majority of my students this year; I'm mostly tired of continuing in a field that doesn't seem to be adapting to the changes in society at a fast enough rate.  Most of today's students struggle with sitting in a classroom and staying focused.  I don't get to teach as much as I try to nudge their behaviors and social skills in a more positive directions. 

How do I meld the required curriculum outcomes with real world application?  What should I do about students who make a choice to fail and are therefore a drain on classroom resources?  How do I balance the needs of one student against the needs of an entire class?  Teachers struggle with these questions all the time, but somedays it seems like it gets to be too much.

So I hop online and search out new career ideas, but I don't really know what I want to do, and I don't have much in the way of resources.  We need my income to finance our lifestyle.  So I will sit in my bubblebath and dream of other jobs: ones where there's not quite so many expectations, the coworkers and bosses are always friendly and helpful, and the pay actually equals the workload, oh and I suppose I'd like a magical unicorn - as long as I'm dreaming.

No comments: